Saturday, August 05, 2006

Stop NetworkManager from Harassing You

Back in May, I began using a wireless network connection on my home (Ubuntu 6.06) computer. I decided to install the futuristic (in a usability sense, at least) NetworkManager, which makes networking "pain-free".

The first time I rebooted after I installed NetworkManager, I was prompted to enter my "keyring" password after login, so that NetworkManager could connect to my wireless network. The wireless network I have is encrypted and requires a WPA key to logon. Since the WPA key is essentially a password, it's stored in GNOME's Keyring and thus requires authentication to let an application (in this case, NetworkManager) to access it.

The problem is that if you power down your computer at night to save energy, you'll be prompted to enter your keyring password every time you power it back up. After you punch in your login password, you get another prompt asking you for your keyring password, which seems redundant. This annoyance is compounded by the fact that for some reason unbeknownst to me, I sometimes get asked to enter my keyring password up to 3 times, simply to connect to my wireless network.

I finally found the solution to this problem over at the Ubuntu Forums, in this thread. To make it even easier, there's a .DEB on page 3 in this post with some quick instructions that are very easy to follow. If anyone else has been annoyed by the constant barrage of password entering they have to do, this should ease the pain somewhat. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Paul said...

THanks! Was getting the irrits wth that password coming up all the time. Now hopefully I can KILL IT! (c:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks! Gutsy Gibbon is a buggy POS in MANY ways, but at least this has a quick fix.

tpjewelry said...

Other ways to unlock trapped cash thomas sabo is in the form of selling thomas sabo shop silverware, silver flatware, sterling silver thomas sabo jewellery and scrap silver.